Torus Knot out of plaster
We had to make a knot out of plaster. the knot didn't need to be anything special. So the first one I could think of was the torusknot function in 3DsMax.
Well since you can't mill this shape directly with my machine, I had to decompose it into simpler pieces that would also fit into the work area of my machine.
The prepared pieces serve to generate a tooling path for the mill with is shown above, done in egdecam, the easiest program to do this, I find. Below is the verification of the tooling path.
this is what my machine milled. It wasn't set on very precise, because it is so slow, so the whole operation took 7 hours, just to mill, and another 7-8 hours or so until I had all the parameters and everything figured out, I'm just beginning. Then I cut out the pieces and pasted them together and finished it to make the negative mould below. So I just needed to pour in the plaster , make 4 identical pieces and paste them together.
And here is the final product, not bad hey.